Thursday, July 10, 2008

no, actually, We Can’t Work It Out.

the Beatles’ song “We Can Work It Out” bothers me. sure, it sounded like a nice sentiment – “baby, just listen, we’re arguing but let’s compromise” – until i really listened to the lyrics. basically, he’s saying “see it my way or we’re gonna break up.”

here’s the breakdown from the first person perspective:
Try to see it my way,
Do I have to keep on talking till I can't go on?
While you see it your way,
Run the risk of knowing that our love may soon be gone.

OK, so far, we can say he’s talking to me like i’m a stubborn person. so hey, try to see it his way, and in the time that i refuse to, we may damage our relationship irreparably. fair enough.

Think of what you're saying.
You can get it wrong and still you think that it's all right.
Think of what I'm saying,
We can work it out and get it straight, or say good night.

ummmm, ok, now he’s saying i’m not making much sense, that i’m wrong but i just don’t see it, and that i really, really should think about what he’s saying. well, OK, that could be true, but usually one doesn’t win arguments and/or friends by saying “Hey, you know you thought you were right, but you’re WRONG.”

Life is very short, and there's no time
For fussing and fighting, my friend.
I have always thought that it's a crime,
So I will ask you once again.

well tru dat. we really shouldn’t fight.

Try to see it my way,
Only time will tell if I am right or I am wrong.
While you see it your way
There's a chance that we might fall apart before too long.

except that instead of following his own advice, he prolongs the argument by telling me that i should see it his way, instead of the other way around, and then threatening our entire relationship based on my perceived stubbornness.

Life is very short, and there's no time
For fussing and fighting, my friend.
I have always thought that it's a crime,
So I will ask you once again.

once again, a plea for me to stop fighting.

Try to see it my way,
Only time will tell if I am right or I am wrong.
While you see it your way
There's a chance that we might fall apart before too long.

and again, that threat!

clearly, he’s less interested in stopping the fight and more interested in being right and persuading his antagonist to ”see things his way.” but why won’t he follow his own advice? i think one could rebut this song with its very own message.

and if you still think i’m wrong, and that this is really a sweet song that is about compromise and really “working things out,” well, try to see it my way, or there's a chance that we might fall apart before too long.

No comments: