Friday, October 17, 2008

Somedays, I just want to go back to bed.

yesterday i had a gig, and like many weeknight gigs, i wouldn’t make it home between work and gig time. i really, really hate that. because home is where i reset & recharge, and i have a psychic need to be there every day when possible. also, gigs require preparations of the vain sort, and i just can’t possibly bring or remember to bring all the implements of beauty that i require. (many would be surprised at how much effort i put in to looking this disheveled.)

but i suck it up and do it, so yesterday i was walking in to work in my shiny new boots (yay!), carrying an assortment of three shoulder bags and backpacks, along with a guitar, when i tripped and fell.

as falls go, it was pretty conservative. i know exactly what happened -- there is a portion of sidewalk on the way in that has a little channel for drainage, and i stepped there, which is bad enough in sneakers but in high-heel boots was ridiculous, and my left foot went oooooops! and my right knee went down onto the pavement. but i didn’t drop my bags, didn’t fall on my face, and didn’t sprain anything, so i got up and kept walking like it was nothing. of course, if i had sprained something, i still would’ve just kept walking, crying inside with every step, until i made it into the office. i should mention i was wearing a skirt, so there is no fabric between my skin and the pavement, but thankfully, there is no pants knee to tear, as well.

i KNOW people saw it -- i was right there on the corner of the street -- and i was mortified. i didn’t look around, just kept looking straight, walking briskly as possible toward the office, waiting for that sweet haven where i could take off my “pssh, how DARE that sidewalk trip me!” face and put on my “WAAAAAAAAAAH” face. about thirty seconds after the fall a coworker calls my name from behind me. shit. not only di about 3 million people see me fall (that may be an exaggeration), one of them was a coworker! he didn’t say anything about it, though. he asked about my guitar. this was either incredibly wise on his part, or incredibly lucky on mine -- i can pretend that he didn’t see anything, or that he only saw me kneel and thought i was fixing my shoe or adjusting my bags.

i tried to keep a normal tone and expression for the walk in, where i took the elevator up (which i never do) because of the bags and the pain in my legs. as i stand on the elevator, i look at my knee, and realize there is a sizable chunk of -- skin? pavement? -- hanging off it, as well as some very dark red blood threatening to drip onto my new boots. i pull a little at the sticking-out part, find it is attached to me and i now have nicely bloodied fingers, and decide to leave it until i can put my stuff down. i make it into the office, act like nothing’s wrong, put my things by my desk, and head off to the bathroom to mop up my disgusting wound.

i cry a little in the bathroom, because that’s what i do, and gingerly blot away the blood. i’m pretty sure there are some first aid-type items around the office, likely in the kitchen, but i’m not positive what and where they are. the blood isn’t gushing after a little pressure, so i return to my desk, where i hold a paper towel on my knee, awkwardly, as a little blood returns to the surface. at this point i have decided i don’t like that extra bit of skin, so i cut it off with some dull scissors that reside in my desk drawer, then clean the scissors off.

the wound is kinda gross, and i can’t take the paper towel off for fear of extra bloodiness, so i head to the kitchen for a band-aid. i actually almost went in the kitchen on my way to the bathroom, but i thought i heard someone in there so i just avoided it. this time i have an excuse BESIDES the band-aid, i plan on getting a cup of water if someone’s there. luckily, the room is empty, and i find the bandages where they belong, grab one, and slap it on.

finally, things can start returning to normal. no one has to know when or how i scraped my knee, it’s just an innocent band-aid... it’s a shame i had to wear it to the show. band-aids are a bit lighter than my skin tone and i felt it was rather conspicuous, but the wound itself was worse (i looked, it really wasn’t anything i thought polite to display). i did think of putting make-up on it, to cover the discolouration, but it hadn’t healed enough where that was a possibility.

it’s still kinda icky today, but at least (mostly) the embarrassment is gone. i did try to do some wii-fitting, but belatedly realized i couldn’t do anything requiring me to kneel. that was kind of hurty. and i don’t have band-aids at home, apparently, so i have to get some. i think i’ll go with the Hello Kitty ones.

3 comments:

walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

It was a... bloody me-ess! Bloody mess! Ruined... my best dre-ess! It was a... bloody mess!

P.S. My knees STILL hurt. Feel better soon!

3pennyjane said...

Joo no, ain't nobody ever sent me the Bloody Mess lyrics. The peoples demand their wordly goods!

atomic cate said...

er, um, yes, well, see... the Cuddle Party is such a large organization, and it seems we had a bureaucratic miscommunication, in that the Secretary of Populace Information Dissemination did not get the memo from the Ministry of Lyrics, requesting the aforementioned lyrics to be disbursed to interested parties, as the representative from the Ministry of Lyrics did not use the requisite forms -- er, anyway, someone will get right on that.