Friday, October 10, 2008

Mistakes Were Made, Kittens Traumatized

it’s been a kinda busy week for me. i had wednesday and thursday off (kinda) but boy, it just made today feel like a monday :P i say “kinda” because apparently the office was just closing early on wednesday, but somehow on all my calendars i had it written down we were closed for the whole day ... wah wah WAAAAAAH! needless to say my boss was confused when he called me at noon to tell me my Minion, Sr. had not shown up. well, what’re you gonna do? (nothing!) so i cried a little at my feeling of FAIL and then realized i hadn’t really failed because somehow it ended up on ALL my calendars, and it seems to me what we have here is a failure to communicate... and then i got over it.

also, i had to get over it because i was about to experience some emotional trauma in the form of taking my cat to the vet. This. Is. Awful. she hates the carrier, hates the car ride, and if she didn’t hate the vet before she sure does now. i managed to pull off a really quick “la, la, nonchalant, nothing’s going on GRAB CAT TOSS IN CARRIER” move, so i consider myself lucky there. then it was a gut-wrenching car ride to the vet’s, with the constant meowing accompanied by me saying “it’s ok, kitty-pie” uselessly over and over for 3 miles.

once inside the vet she was pretty quiet (but still terrified), and she handled the man-handling and rectal thermometer well. it was the blood-drawing and shots that got her in serious escape attempt mode. i felt like an awful kitty mommy as the vet assistant, and then the vet, questioned me on her health and habits and seemed to imply that Oh My God Why Did You Wait So Long To Bring Her In????? but you know, the cat was puking a little. i mean, cats do that, even healthy ones... and so she was losing weight -- hadn’t i been trying for years for that to happen? still, i felt awful at subjecting her to the whole ordeal, and that’s really why we hadn’t gone to the vet before. i figured if she was still eating, playful, and whiny, just like always, she couldn’t be that bad off.

it cost me more than $200 (sigh), but everyone knows i’d spend that ten times over and more, happily, for my kitty baby... blood work, rabies shot, penicillin, kitty-lax, and an antibiotic for the tooth infection she had; there will probably be dental care in her future, too another traumatic car ride, and she was safe at home, where she slunk around for a couple minutes but then returned to her usual self. i can tell you now, though, that this whole antibiotic administering is NOT going over well. kitty and i are going to have to work some trust issues out in counseling, soon.

i should know later today the results of the blood work. fingers crossed, she is a healthy happy kitty with just a little hairball & tooth problem.

No comments: