Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Customer "Service" Update

so i called George back an hour later. to his credit, he answered the phone. the first email they sent me was supposed to be sent to someone else (thus, it made no sense). fine. then things went downhill.

see, George tried to convince me it was my fault they printed wrong. i was half agreeing with him, actually, because their site isn't very user friendly and i didn't scroll down, thus making it my 'fault'... but i half didn't agree because their site isn't clear, for one thing, and they don't specify a couple things that made a difference. so i'm thinking, ok, lesson learned, George will give me a refund....

WAIT! NO! he's still trying to tell me it's totally my fault. i explain to him i sent the file exactly as they specified, and since they don't explain their 'instant proof' process, the reason it f*ed up, that it's not really my fault... and then it gets worse. because George tries to tell me vector files have resolution.

now, i have been doing my job for nearly 10 years. if there is one thing i am certain of (and probably there is only one thing), it is that i know how to do my job. i have never had a job print wrong due to my error. i know my files. i know the difference between vector and raster.

i don't know how long the phone call went on, but i do know this: even if the customer's wrong, for less than $50 you can explain why their head is up their ass and still make them happy by offering a credit or refund. BEFORE they spend time and patience arguing with you on the phone. because what's better, a few bucks, or a customer that keeps ordering with you and spreads the word?

don't get me angry, George. you won't like it when i'm angry.

i finally did get the credit. being a bitch can really pay off.

No comments: