Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Customer "Service" and "Quality" Control

you all know where this is heading. please, permit me to rant a bit about a topic that has (more than likely) touched everyone personally.

Customer "Service."

here's my frustrating little tale. i ordered business cards for my company on the internets. see, my company (those of you who know who i work for save your obvious jokes) is too cheap to have something like a business credit card. so instead of spending $55 + shipping for 500 business cards (that's 11¢ a card before shipping) at the place that lets us have an account, i decide to pay for some less expensive cards and put in an expense report for them. silly me.

i am a designer and production artist. it is what i do. it is what i have done, for a living, for nearly 10 years now. i'm pretty good. i prepared a file and uploaded it.
the cards they sent came out wrong (i will not bore ya'll non-designers with details). i check my file. it's correct. i call customer service. they tell me to write "Quality" Control (the folks of which are obviously not doing their job). i do. they offer a nearly nonsensical explanation, complete with grammatical errors. i write telling them this (not the grammar part). they tell me to call "Quality" Control, specifically a man named George Kelli. the email telling me this is also full of grammatical mistakes and appears to be written by someone who has English as his or her second language.

their business hours are 8am to 5pm pacific. i call at 8:10 pacific/11:10 eastern. a lady named Lynette answers at Customer Service. i tell her i would like to reach George, and she puts me on hold and then disconnects me.

i call again. this time a lady named Jaime answers. Jaime puts me on hold and comes back to tell me George is not in. also, he does not have a direct outside extension so everytime i call George, i must go through Customer "Service." Jaime transfers me to George's voice mail, where i leave a curt message explaining the situation, and give him my office and cell numbers.

now, i know George won't call me back. i will be SHOCKED if George calls me back. i will be even more shocked if this is resolved to my satisfaction. so i will have to go through Customer "Service" several times today alone attempting to reach him -- maybe if i fill his voice mail he will get back to me -- probably only to get reprints but have to pay additional shipping (IF i'm lucky).

also, in the second "Quality" Control email, they put in this line "Unfortunately, if we do not receive a reply within five (5) business days of this email being sent, we will not be able to further accommodate you in regards to this issue."

what do i get if George doesn't contact me in five days?

bastards.

1 comment:

walkinhomefromthethriftstore said...

We deal with George all the time. You must threaten George. Also, when going through Customer "Service", you must at some point demand to speak to a supervisor. Then and only then will George call you back.