Monday, March 23, 2009

it’s gonna be andre.

i just got back from the gym. if you’ve spoken to me recently you’ve likely heard me whine about the gym. i do not like it, no sir, not one bit. it’s a common story that once you start going, you start to like it, and if you skip a day, you miss it... that lasted for one week for me.

i do not like the gym.

oh, the actual place is fine, and it’s very important i exercise. but i’m not getting that post-workout endorphin rush (or i’ve become immune) and the workout is now a chore. my butt makes it over there three times a week, and i do every single exercise i plan on doing, sure... but i don’t like it.

i think that might change.

today a new gym employee, andre, started talking to me during my free weights work. he wasn’t on duty; he was just hanging out at the gym working out. he gave me a few tips, asked me if i played for Mason (i have a George Mason Basketball shirt i wear for workouts), said i looked athletic (instant points). when it came time for me to get to the hamstring/quad sets, he took me over to the ball area (neglecting his own workout) and had me do those (that is, not on the machine like i normally do). then he brought out a balance board, after i told him i’d been snowboarding.

i had fun. i had someone to talk to, he encouraged me, and he was showing me new stuff that sure, i knew about, but hadn’t bothered to try.

so i bet it’s gonna be andre. i’m pretty sure he’s a trainer there (not just a mill-about employee), so if i see him there again i’ll have to sign up for some type of session (i just wouldn’t feel right mooching his time. he’s a nice guy, he shouldn’t be punished for it). but i was probably going to shell out a little for that anyway, maybe just a couple times a month, for someone to keep me on track...

so today, i liked the gym.