Friday, October 1, 2010

Remodeling

after 12 years, it’s time. time for a change. an overhaul. a fresh look. insert your own clichéd phrase here.

i am going to redesign my résumé.

for quite a while, i have appreciated my résumé for what it is: simple, to-the-point, with a little attitude. it’s plain enough for non-creatives to not feel threatened, but creative enough for creative-types to say, hey, she actually designs. and so i refused to alter what was working.

a lot of designers rework their résumés like it’s their job, and i understand that. it’s fun, functional, and totally personal. but it’s the “personal” part that has kept me from reworking mine. i can’t seem to work on design projects with no outside input. i need to be graded, evaluated, and validated. i don’t know if it’s “right” because the “client” (that is, the person at the company i applied to) will never give me negative feedback. i either win, or i don’t – and if i don’t, i’m not sure if it was the design or any number of other factors. so i find it hard to say “this is finished, this is good, i’m sending this out.” i did it once and i’m loathe to go through it again.

i have had a couple alternate résumés in the past. there was the retro-advertising résumé (which landed me a job with an older gentleman, possibly solely because i used the word “moxie”). and there was the “feed the starving cate” résumé, which was pretty fun (but i don’t think landed me any interviews). the “star” résumé has been the single constant. the more i look at it, though, the more i see me of 12 years ago; not me now. because of that it’s almost a lie to send it out… i’m sending a résumé that isn’t me, which is pretty bad from my point of view.

so off i go, on the quest for inspiration to show “me.”

No comments: